Saturday, May 4, 2013

Biking in Bavaria

We finally have bikes and a bike trailer for Evan,  so we decided to really break them in today. In Germany,  biking isn't just for fun, it's a way of life. Bikes are considered vehicles here,  so they have to have lights and bells. Cute old ladies with baskets are always biking to the grocery store and the markets. People use bicycles to go everywhere. We use ours for workouts apparently.
When we started off,  we weren't sure how far we would go. We first went off post through Vilseck. Then we headed towards Grafenwoehr. We saw parts of the outer villages of Vilseck that we had never seen before.

I'm obsessed with doors,  as everyone already knows.  We saw this cool,  hobbit-looking door.  Evan's face was priceless when I said, "Oh I hope a monster doesn't come out of there."

After that stop,  we kept riding and saw some really beautiful scenery.  The flowers are starting to bloom, and you can see hills and forests for miles.

We also accidentally ended up riding the through someone's farm. We stopped at the top of their hill, and could see downtown Vilseck. It was cool to see the church and the castle from up there.

After the farm land,  we did what I consider to be serious off-roading. I guess technically we were on a road,  but it was all sand and dirt and gravel,  and I was terrified I was going to crash. Andy stopped towards the bottom because I was so far behind,  he was afraid I had fallen.  No,  I was just riding the breaks so that I wouldn't fall. It was an awesome ride though. We really live in farm country and it is beautiful. Next time,  when there is less threat of rain, we'll take the good camera!

We made it back home after about 3 hours and 10 miles. Andy looked so tired and Evan was asleep.
I was pretty tired too, but I was so happy that we got some exercise in a way that I enjoy and that we could enjoy as a family. I'm ready to do it every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment